Handmade: Beet Smoothie
We’re back in the Tree Kitchen with the lovely Sarah from Pretend Health Freak and today we are making a very healthy smoothie to get your energy levels up for the week ahead.
Beetroots are great for nutritional value, rich in calcium, iron and vitamins A and C. They’re also a good source of folic acid, fibre, manganese and potassium. They can be cooked up, pickled or even drunk… which is what we’re doing today!
Beetroots have a delicious but distinctive flavour and but it’s jammed packed nutritional benefits makes it something you just can’t beat!
You’ll need a good blender, Sarah recommends using the Vitamix!
Beet Smoothie Recipe
Time: 30 mins
- 2 cups coconut water
- 1 beetroot (fresh, not tinned!)
- 1 pink lady apple
- 1/2 lemon
- small knob of ginger
- Peel the skin off your beetroot. Once it’s all off, slice the beetroot into small pieces.
- Peel the skin off the ginger. For reference we used a piece that was about as thick as thumb, but only to the first knuckle. Use your own judgement with ginger, you can always add more to suit your taste!
- Cut the apple into small chunks.
- Juice the lemon.
- Pop everything into the blender along with 2 cups of coconut water. Blend until there are no large chunks and you have a thick smoothie.
- If it’s too thick, you can add a little more coconut water to thin it out to suit your taste.
If you like this recipe, check out more from the Sarah Bambey the Pretend Health Freak or download her free ebook filled with more great healthy recipes.
Don’t forget to follow her Instagram and Facebook and check out her previous recipe in the Tree Kitchen!