Wandering: Deforestation, The Top 10 things you can do to help
We’re all hearing lots about climate change and things we can do to be greener, but what does it all really mean?
What is deforestation? The mass clearing and destruction of a wide area of trees, particularly in tropical rainforests.
What are the causes of deforestation? While the causes vary from region to region the main issues are from demand for wood & paper products, various food sources and of course palm oil products.
What are the main effects of deforestation? Deforestation can have a negative impact on the environment. The most dramatic impact is a loss of habitat for millions of species. Eighty percent of Earth’s land animals and plants live in forests, and many cannot survive the deforestation that destroys their homes. Deforestation also drives climate change. (Source: National Geographic)
What can I do?
- Eat sustainable & organic food
- Shop at local markets for organic food and planet friendly products
- Buy recycled products wherever possible
- Start a small garden or join a local food cooperative
- Use less
- Plant trees! Nurturing our earth is always a good idea
- Eat less meat
- Support companies who use recycled products
- Educate yourself and talk to others about the effects of deforestation
- Learn more here and here